Since its revival in 1992, The New Queen's Hall Orchestra has acquired a justified reputation for its original approach to performance.
The original Queen's Hall Orchestra was formed in 1895 to play for the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts, becoming the New Queen's Hall Orchestra in 1915 at a time of change of ownership.
Orchestral instruments, and the ways they are played, have changed so much since the 1920's that the modern symphony orchestra has very little in common with those for which Wagner, Tchaikovsky or Elgar composed. By using instruments which these composers would have recognised, the New Queen's Hall Orchestra is able to restore true balance to the concert platform.
The Orchestra's concerts and recordings reveal a sound world only achievable through the use of appropriate instruments. In 1995 the New Queen's Hall Orchestra gave the Centenary Concert of the Promenade Concerts, which was televised across Europe and in 2003, the NQHO gave the only complete performances of the music of the Queen's Coronation which had not been performed since the day it was first heard in 1953.